Espasol is a type of rice cake that is made of rice flour cooked in coconut milk. This cyclindricaly shaped treat originated from the Province of Laguna and is visible in almost all bus stops and “pasalubong” stores.
Like the other famous rice-puddings (or kakanin), there are various ways in making Espasol. I’ll be showing you one of the simple ways on how to make this fabulous dessert. Say adiue to your cravings and start making your own delicous Espasol.
3 cups glutinous rice flour, toasted
1/2 cup sweet rice flour, toasted
2 cups sugar
3 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 cups grated coconut, toasted
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. In a cooking pot, pour-in the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
2. Add the sugar and stir continously for 10 minutes.
3. Put-in the toasted grated coconut and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the vanilla essence and toasted rice flour and cook for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until the mixture becomes really thick while folding.
5. Remove the mixture from the pot and allow to cool down.
6. Dust the toasted sweet rice flour in a flat surface.
7. Divide the mixture into parts and roll over the dusted sweet rice flour until a cylindrical shape is formed.
8. Slice according to your preference.
9. Put in a serving plate or wrap in paper or banana leaf. Share and enjoy!